UW ROTC Uniform, ca. 1921-1925
This UW ROTC uniform, dating from the mid-1920s, was recently donated to the Archives by the daughter of its original owner, Wayne R. Fleishauer (‘25, Engineering). Fleishauer, like many UW students, participated in military training activities during his time on campus through the Reserve Officers’ Training Corps or ROTC.
ROTC in the United States began with the Morrill Act of 1862 which established the system of land-grant colleges. The Act required that schools include military tactics as part of their curriculum. The ROTC program, as it exists today, began in 1916 with President Woodrow Wilson’s signing of the National Defense Act which brought this training under a single, federally-controlled entity.
These photos show Fleishauer’s requisition jacket, hat (including UW Corps of Cadets insignia) and gaiters, a classic military footwear accessory that covered the ankle and instep.
Visit Campus Military Activities and Training (1892-1945) on Flickr to view more photos!
For more information about this artifact or UW-Madison campus history, visit http://archives.library.wisc.edu.